Monday, February 11, 2008

Book Nine endorses Barack Obama in DC Primary

Well, it's down to the wire for those of us participating in the Chesapeake Potomac Primaries tomorrow. Polls open in 10 hours. And after several months of listening to the candidates, watching some of the debates (only "some," because really, it's not humanly possible to have watched them all), listened to the criticisms for and against each candidate from both Republicans and Democrats (via shows like Washington Journal and the Sunday talkers), I've come down on one side of the fence. Tomorrow morning, I'll be filling in the circle connecting the arrow bits next to Senator Obama's name.

I've been on the fence quite a lot throughout this whole primary process and the months leading up to it. I would have liked Biden, Dodd and Richardson to have been able to last a little longer. I wish either Clinton or Obama had been able to augment their own messages with a little more flavor from Edwards' populism after his withdrawal. All of that said, I'll be pleased with whichever Senator we end up sending against Senator McCain in November.

But the pick I have to make now is between Clinton and Obama. And it's been a tough choice. My most important determining factors all came out a wash:

  • Are either of them beholden to Bush? (No.)
  • Are either of them a fan of the Unitary Executive policy, the anti-Constitutional signing statements, or any of the other ways in which the President has dismantled many of the civil liberties that have existed in our country since the Civil War? (No.)
  • Will either of them be a puppet for a shadowy Vice-Presidential figure with a penchant for defense contractors and Armageddon? (No.)
And the list goes on.

The first time I started tilting in Obama's direction ever so slightly was last month between Iowa and New Hampshire. He gave a speech in which he hammered home the difference between him and Hillary, which was that he and Clinton's entire outlook on the world has been flavored by their upbringing - not just as politicians, but as people. They're not quite in different generations, just at opposite ends of the Baby Boomers. Nonetheless, Hillary was in college in the counter-culture 60's. Barack was in early elementary school. Their fourteen year age difference is not great, but I know some folks just 10 years younger than myself who don't remember a time before the widespread use of the Internet or push-button telephones (without the "land-line" modifier) or any of those other things we've seen in email forwards about how awesome it is to be a GenXer. Obama's point in this speech was that Hillary sees things in a certain way, all colored by the formative 1960's culture and with a constant, almost subliminal backbeat of the Vietnam War. Obama didn't experience that. His very worldview is fundamentally different, where the political gradient of belief is not defined by Hawks and Doves, or even necessarily by the mentality of the Cold War. That mindset, and the recriminations that came from it, led to the long period of acrimony and lack of civility that has permeated the political culture since the 1980s and escalated dramatically in the mid-90s. From Obama's perspective, another President Clinton would only continue The Politics of Personal Destruction. What I took away from the speech was the need to cut the crap and start putting this nation back on sure footing without the baggage of demagoguery.

(To bolster his point, I have noticed a disconcerting amount of childishness coming from certain segments of the Hillary movement. There's a very weird level of anti-Obama vitriol there, replete with such effective third-grader tactics as name-calling ("Bambi" for Obama) and unintentional irony ("If I even have to look at Bambi one more time, I’m going to lose it. If I hear the words “hope” “change”, “and “unity” one more time I am going to pour draino in my ears! And if have to try to inject one more ounce of reason into the minds of americans, I will pull out a gun and blow my own friggin’ head off!"). I mean, that's just plain weird. These are democrats talking about other democrats. Then again, I've always had a problem understanding fanaticism of any kind.

There are some legitimate complaints about Obama. There are some that I've heard that are, quite frankly, mysterious and impenetrable. I'll grant that his domestic policy points are nebulous and underemphasized, and helping an economy that (hopefully) is recovering from the 2008 recession will be one of the more important tasks any new president will face come 1-20-09. But there's an impressive array of foreign policy priorities he claims, including tough diplomacy with Iran (as opposed to just about every Republican in power or those wanting to be), as well as what is probably my #1 issue: restoring the openness of government. I get that the US needs to keep secrets, and I don't begrudge those in charge with keeping those who would do us harm away from us. But there's no excuse for partially de-funding the Archives so that FOIA requests can't be honored because there's no money to hire for the position.

I could go on. But seriously, go check his Ethics section.

What is perhaps the most persuasive argument for me, sitting here right now, is that in Senator Obama I see a leader. Not a manager - a leader. Someone who can rally America to a higher cause and restore the good feeling Americans - all Americans, the purple staters - used to have about our country. Yes, it's a nebulous thing to champion. And perhaps it makes me shallow that I respond to "leadership" over wonkish detail. I don't think it does, though. I think he's smart enough to fill his government with absurdly smart people who get the wonkish details and can give him honest assessments and - the most important part - he's going to listen to them.

So I'll be down at my polling place in less than twelve hours, doin' that thing we all should be doing.

5 comments:

Marky Narc said...

Not that I'm trying to change your vote, but when you say "politics of personal destruction", do you mean giving or receiving? Because I can't think of a political family more openly hated by the rest of the political elite then the Clintons. When I read the phrase "politics of personal destruction", the first think I think of is the MSM's obviously and unabashed open hostility toward Bill and Hill.

If you're saying that the Clinton's have played politics of personal destructions against Obama, I must disagree with you and point out that all these supposed remarks are media confections fueled by Immense Knee-Jerk Clinton Hatred(tm).

On the other hand, if what you mean is the Clinton name fosters incoming politics of personal destruction, when makes you think the right-wing is going to treat Obama any differently once he gets the nomination? Believe me, all these right/center-right/center/etc people who are embracing Obama are doing so to prevent Clinton from getting the nomination.

Why are they doing so? Because they know that Clinton will fight back and counter-punch and dirty tactics by her opponents with the truth. With Obama, they're not so sure - and they're at least willing to take that chance.

The Republican Party can't wait for an Obama candidacy: they can't wait for factions on the left to stab him in the back while they stab him in the front - Obama might not be able to handle that. They already know that Clinton can.

Bourgeois Deviant said...

Color me pleased with your choice. While our prioritization of issues and perception of the candidates' abilities may differ in some regards, we are of like mind regarding the outcome and importance.

I can't say that I find merit in marky narc's estimation, but chalk it up to bad water infrastructure wherever he is. Just add that to the list of things thats wrong with America.

Oh, and I heart Edwards populism too. The news of the meeting cancellation between he and Obama yesterday made me a bit nervous, but I don't think it will matter too much in the long run. Hillary is already pandering by saying Edwards will be part of anything she does. Doubtful that will be the case if Edwards does not lend his endorsement to her. And Hillary holds a grudge. Grudges are counterproductive when considering the enormity of the repair job at hand.

CheckyPantz said...

Markus Narcus: Forgive the lack of clarity. I do not believe, with the exception of a comment or two from Bill, that the Clinton campaign has engaged in overt PoPD. Bill on Charlie Rose back in December was, for the most part (with bits of it bordering on a sort of panicked hysteria), a tough but thoughtful critique on Obama's nascent status as front-runner in Iowa, and Bill (and Hillary) started gaining some traction from people who were perceiving a cotton-candy nature to Obama.

But then he went too far. The whole "fairy tale" thing, while hideously overblown by the media, still rang a sour note with me. I don't believe there was any sort of racial component to the dig, as Donna Brazile seemed to. I just have to wonder if Bill would visit the WH with a President Obama in it and still call him a "kid."

To address your question, then. The notion of the PoPD is one that, unfortunately, has followed and will continue to follow Hillary. I'm not saying it's right. I'm just saying it's there. And there's hasn't been anything about Hillary's rhetoric that has encouraged me to say that this attitude, where she fights fire with fire, would soften in any measure. My confidence in Barack's ability to overcome this esprit du temps in the halls of power, where contention and derisiveness trumps conversation on a national level. Sure, Senators may be able to get things done on Capitol Hill, working out compromises and things like that, as part of their daily discourse. But the national conversation has devolved to hyperbole, name-calling, and outright lying.

In terms of policy, the differences between Obama and Clinton are shades of gray. But the influence each one would have on the culture of Official Washington is drastically different, and that's a lot of why I voted Obama this morning.

Marky Narc said...

I still feel that this outrage at Bill's comments (even the 'fairy tale' one) is faker than Tammy Faye's eyelashes. Bill examined a situation, assessed it and spoke frankly. Anyone else could have said that and it would have been fine. But the Clintons have to play by different, much more restrictive rules, so even the most innocuous statements become motivated by cold and calculated sinister intentions. It's bullshit and hollower than Kato Kailin's head, but everyone has to play along, lest the MSM decide to treat them the same way. It's the 900-pound gorilla in the room that everyone pretends they can't see.

tl;dr version: Bill & Hill don't play that way and any suggestions that they did ain't true.

To Obama's credit - and don't worry, I will be voting for whoever secures the Democratic nomination - he hasn't played dirty, either. But the MS has a narrative to tell and a novel to write, so Obama becomes the unspoiled newcomer with a heart of gold while Clinton is the heartless bitch... even though the two have been basically doing the same thing.

It works the same policy-wise. As you pointed out, there's not much of a difference between the two in terms of policy and that bodes well for the Democrats; polls say that most Dems would be happy with either of the two as the nominee (as would I), but I still favor giving the captaincy the cagey veteran who knows the ropes rather then the untested first round draft pick.

Just remember: come general election time, no writing funny names like Heywood Jablowme, I.P. Frehley or Ralph Nader at the bottom of the ballot! :)

Marky Narc said...

Oh, and check out the guy living in the NY/NJ corridor taking potshots at drinking water standards! I deem further comment unnecessary. (Hugs & kisses to both of you!)